Friday, October 28, 2011

Mini MacGyver

You know............. when your boys "MacGyver" any and all common house hold item. I am sure not all boys have a desire to build a man killing robot out of a car battery and 3 paper clips but they do around here. Cohen has always loved to build things. He has made numerous jet packs out of 2 liter pop bottles, guns out of toilet paper and paper towel tubes, and boats from those little card boar snack trays they receive with their school lunches. In fact he has "saved" and brought home every single snack tray since first grade for what he calls his "art-crafts." (I have a whole cupboard of 'waiting to become' art crafts.) He saves the seeds from any fruit he eats and plants them randomly in my back yard. So if you show up one day and I have an apple tree growing out of my patio you will know why! He actually builds some pretty impressive things with random "junk" he has dug back out of my recycling. Other then the fact that he is a giant pack rat I think it's great, well, with one exception. The massive use of dental floss!! Now you would think he would have the healthiest most plaque free gums and teeth in Portland with what we go through around this house, but unfortunately according to his dentist that is not nearly the case. You wouldn't believe the uses a boy can find for floss. But my favorite of all time was when I walked in to his room one day and he and Wyatt had stung it from his platform bed to the closet rod and back again. I asked what the heck were they doing. He said quite matter-of-factly "We built a zip line!" If that aint MacGyver-like I don't know what is. I truly wish I had a picture of his design, but as it was probably the 3rd container of floss in a week that had been "re-purposed" I was pretty much just seeing red at the time. What is a crafty Mom to do but (after calming down) be proud and impressed of each and every project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment