Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Recipe - Seafood Chowder

I don't usually blog about food. In fact this will be my first, but I figured it would be easier to share it on here then on Facebook. Now I love to cook, but I am not much for measuring, and I often substitute whatever I have on hand. So keep that in mind should you try and make this yummy chowder. All my measurements are "about" what I use. ;-) It's also pretty obvious I don't write recipes, so if I missed a step or a word something strange, feel free to ask. Thanks.

Seafood Chowder

2 1/2 to 3 lbs Red Potatoes

1 can clams, with juice

1/2 cooked shrimp (You could use uncooked too, just toss them in the pot a bit sooner.)

1/2 lbs lump crab meat

4 strips bacon, chopped

1 diced onion

3 stalks celery, chopped

1 medium to larger carrot, chopped

5 or 6 clovers of garlic, minced. (we love garlic, so you may want to do less if you don't love it)

1 box chicken stock

1 stick of butter

4 tbls flour

2/3 to 1 cup of milk (I use skim, because it's what we buy but you can use whatever you'd like, even cream or half & half if you're being really naughty. I mean, you're already putting a stick of butter in it, so you might as well go all out, right. ;-)

salt and pepper to taste

Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce to taste

1 tsp Italian Season

In a large pot start to brown your bacon, then toss in the onions, celery, carrots. Once onions are translucent add garlic and cook for another minute or so. Toss in a few dashes of hot sauce, if you like a bit of heat and salt, pepper, and other seasoning to taste. Pour the entire box of Chicken (or veggie stock would work well also. I prefer chicken) in pot. Cut potatoes into bit sized pieces, and add to stock. Bring to a boil and cook long enough for the potatoes to be al dente. I am guessing about 15 minutes.

While the potatoes cook, in a separate sauce pan, melt 1 stick of butter. Once melted sprinkle your flour in to the pan. Mix well, and cook on low heat for a bit, so you cook out the raw flour flavor. Then slowly add milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly. I add salt and pepper to this as well. You want a pretty thick Béchamel sauce, because you're going to pour it in the your chowder at the end, thus thickening it up and making it nice and creamy. When your Béchamel is nearly ready turn the heat to low.

Add all your seafood (including the juice from the can of clams) to your large pot. Cook only long enough to heat the meat. Then pour the Béchamel into your large pot. Combine well and serve. Sorry I don't have a photo. I never think to take them, and well, it was so yummy it was gone in one night. My boys can EAT!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment