Monday, July 15, 2013

Dearest Wyatt, on Your Seventh Birthday

So I try and do this for my boys on their birthdays. I haven't managed to do one for every year, and some are to personal to share on my blog, but one day I hope to give them at least a small stack of letters when they are young men, and it's time for them to find their way in the world. This one is for my sweet Wyatt, on his seventh birthday. They are sometimes specific to what is going on in our lives and sometimes they are random. This one is a bit of both.

My dearest Wyatt. Today you turn seven. You are pretty excited about that fact. You get pretty excited about nearly anything these days. A few things about you. You are always trying to make us laugh. You grasp on humor will improve, I am sure, but currently you enjoy quoting cartoons to your dad and I and asking if what you have just quoted is funny. It's generally not, but I always answer you the same way. "Was it funny to you?" "Yes." "Then that is all that matters."

Your current interests are Mind Craft, video games, swimming with your mom or dad, hanging with your cousins, and any and everything your older brother is into.

You're going to be going into 1st grade this year. You're happy you get to walk home from school with Cohen and Reece, but not happy you will be in school all day. Sitting is not your favorite activity. You've learned a bunch in school this year. Your teacher really enjoyed having you in class, even though you asked to go to the bathroom 5 times every day. ;)

Some of my favorite things about you. Well you are so very polite, which you know is extremely important to me. You very rarely forget your manors and you are just a bad ass at showing appreciation for even the smallest things. I so hope you keep cultivating that quality. Your also a little love bug. You always remember to give your dad and I lots of love and hugs. It's pretty awesome.

A couple of things that I would love for you to work on. You fight with your older brother constantly. Yeah, that could stop any time. It would be great to see you grow closer to your younger brothers, but I know you will, so I am not worried about it. It would also be fab if you could clean up after yourself a bit better. Dishes in the sink, laundry in the hamper, bike not left in the yard, that kind of stuff. But again, we are working on it together, so I know you will have those skilled mastered, far before you read this letter.

Some mom advice for your future. I have a feeling you are going to be girl crazy far earlier then you need to be. Take your time with that. Be a very responsible boy, and don't be in a hurry. You want to grow up far to quickly, and no one will be able to convince you of this in your teen years, but it's the truth so I'm gonna say it anyway. Enjoy being a kid because it goes by in a flash. Don't rush life. Being a grown up is great. But being a kid can be just as great, if you stop long enough to enjoy it. But please do remember that just because you should enjoy your youth, that does not mean you shouldn't be responsible. Even now you can contribute great things to the world, even if they come in small packages. Keep being that kid who jumps up to help someone with something. Your "helpful spirit" is also a quality that should be cultivated. It's a beautiful thing to want to help others. It isn't natural for everyone (ie your big brother, but don't tell him I said that. ;)

I could be wrong about this one also, but I have a feeling out of all of you boys, you will be the one who will live here until your dad says it's time to move out. I am your mother so I would have happily kept you into your 30's, but dad is the boss, so any hurt feelings should be directed to him. ;)

You will know by now that your mom will do things that embarrass you. I will also have made rules you wont like, or feel are unfair. My intentions were always good. My rules were never arbitrary. They either served to keep you safe or teach you to be a functioning adult. I have always felt my job as your mom is to raise you and your brothers to go out into the world and be a contribution to it. Not a hindrance. Find a job you love (currently you want to be a pilot), or at least enjoy enough to do it your whole life, and work hard, but not to hard. Relaxation and work are both necessary to be happy and healthy.

One of the most important rules I try to follow in my life is "to treat others, as you wish to be treated." Following that one has always kept me happy, and makes me feel good about myself. I hope it makes you feel equally happy.

I hope the next year of your life is full of fun and adventure. Be safe, but not so safe you miss some wonderful opportunities. I love you like crazy dear Wyatt. Thank you for bringing me so much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment