Tuesday, February 11, 2014

To My Dearest Boys On Their Fourth Birthday

I try and write a letter to my 4 boys each year on their birthdays. Letters to be read at a later date so we can all look back on what was going on in our lives at the time and so they know I loved them every day, even when I was cranky or tired. I don't share all of these letters, but periodically I like to. This one was written for my twin boys on there 4th birthday.

Dearest boys,

Today is an amazing day. Today I have had the incredibly stressful and wonderful pleasure of being your momma for 4 years. This little fact blows my mind. Some days it feels like many more years but most days it feels like I blinked my eyes and my sweet new born twin boys became my walking, talking, funny, opinionated, stubborn, smart, handsome 4 year old boys!

I will start this letter to you both, because despite what all the books say about giving you your own identity, there is so much of you that is united and blended and out of anyone's control. You have a connection that can't be ignored or explained. From your twin speak, conversations that you had and resolved which no one, not even me, your mother, could decipher, to your defense of each other, and your loving comfort to one another. You fight like brothers, but you love like a unit that brings tears to my eyes.

Some of my favorite memories of the past year are, the two of you sitting at the kitchen table with your breakfast, first thing in the morning, wearing your hooded animals blankets that Auntie Laurie gave to you. Sleepily eating your Cheerios. When either one of you quotes one of your favorite movies. Right now you both like to quote “The Croods.” “I call it the end. Dunt dunt dunnnnnn.” Always makes me smile. And how incredibly excited you get about the little things, like watching the snow fall, or getting to do something you deem a “big boy activity.” It reminds me to appreciate the little things too.

Now a bit to each of you.

Dear Bodhi,

Oh sweet boy, you are by far my most spirited child. You are always inquisitive. You want to take everything apart to investigate it closer. You also have the toughest time controlling your impulses. But no worries. I know you will figure it out soon. You have also broken more things then your 3 other brothers combined. I will expect some money for that when your engineering career is in full swing. I can't imagine you not having a job that involves your hands and figuring out puzzles of some kind. Mechanic maybe? Maybe a musician? Builder? IDK, but as long as you are happy, I will be happy. You still have the best giggle I have ever heard. It comes from deep within you and makes others around you laugh and giggle. You can be really good at sharing without being instructed to do so, and try and do it even when it upsets you to do it. We cut off all your long hair this year. It was really hard for me to see those blond curls go, but it was time. Some of your current favs in life are: Cartoon: Team Umizoomi. Favorite food: Pizza and apples, but you will eat pretty much anything and lots of it. Favorite color is pink, Favorite number is 4. You love your special pillow (also from Auntie Laurie) and the blanket grandma made you has to go on first every night. You love to sing, and do so often and loudly. You love to draw, and color and your favorite book, that we must read 5 times a day is the “Blob” book, as you call it. Better know as “Veggie Tails. The Case of the Lost Temper.” You love to dress yourself so you frequently have things on backwards or inside out. This does not bother you one bit. You also give big squeezy hugs and big smooshy kisses. You love to “help” me fold laundry (which you are better at then anyone else in the house, except mom. (don't tell your dad, but you fold better then him too), unload the dishwasher, sweep, vacuum, and get your own fruits and snacks. You are an independent man. ;) And you are lucky enough to have a mom who encourages that. She is really something don't you think?! ;)

My Dear Eli,

Such a great kid. You are kind, and smart, and sooooo talkative. You are a love bug. You would spend all day on my lap or snuggled next to dad if it was an option. You are a soft talker in a house of noise, so we are often asking you to repeat yourself. You are so sensitive. If you want to do something you know you shouldn't, you ask Bodhi to do it for you. (see above “smart” comment) You pee on the bathroom floor far more then anyone else. Your clean up job could use some work. But we will get there. :) You sometimes resort to whining to try and get your way. Mom is not impressed. But loves you just the same as your non-whining brothers. (sometimes Wyatt whines too. But that is between you and me. It's a kid thing. You'll both out grow it.) Your current loves: Maps. Holy cow do you love maps right now. I see a laminated map in your near future so you can color it a bunch of times. You love your stuffed animals. Mr Moo and a pink bunny found at Auntie Loie's house are among your favorites. They accompany you to bed every night, along with your special blanket made my Grandma, your pillow and hooded blanket from Auntie Laurie and as many more lovies and blankets as you can round up. You love when I sing to you, generally the same song. “Angels from Montgomery.” Your mom is so sick of that one right now, and would love if you found a new favorite anytime now. You love to dance, especially to rock songs. Your favorite food is strawberries. Favorite color is blue, Favorite number is 7. Favorite cartoon is anything involving super heroes. Your favorite book is a small book of walking paths in Portland. It's full of maps, so you carry it everywhere at the moment talking about certain maps you love and why. You give the best neck hugs and always kiss and hug me good morning. You are a mommas boy through and through. It is a rare treat if you let dad tuck you in at night. Only mom will do most nights.

So boys, that is a bit about who you were as 3 year olds. Things got easier for us all this year. Gates where removed, rooms where given access to. Mom even sneaked in a couple of quick showers leaving you unsupervised for a whole 5 minutes. It was pretty monumental for us all. ;) We are hoping the new year brings more milestones for our family. Maybe some camping? A car trip? Who knows. The possibilities are....well, ok, they are still pretty limited, but ever expanding. Thanks for being two of the best little 4 year olds on the planet! Thanks for all the love. Thanks for teaching me to let go of control and actually feeling good about it. I always tell people that if a control freak spent a week with my twin boys it would change them forever. You are an incredible lesson in that!! Thank you for always expanding my heart and mind. Thank you for you adventuresome spirits, for your deep, pure love, and for pooping in a toilet!! That is a biggy right there! ;) Here's to a great new year in the land of Being Four! I love you to the moon and back!!

3 comments:

  1. That is super sweet and a great idea! Hope one day I get to experience moments of my own and share them with my youngins..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Autumn you have me in tears! I do hope you are printing these off and in a book kept for them. So So Special!!! K gotta go before I get this message to wet from my tears....Such a great momma you are don't you forget it.....k really gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great Autumn. Life is about making memories. Hugs and kisses to all of you - and tell those boys "Happy Birthday" for me.
    Love, Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete